A Funny Java Flavoured Look at the World

Thursday, April 20, 2006

How long do you stay a programmer

I wondered today if you become bored of programming, the everyday cut and thrust of programming problems. I personally don't believe you become bored of programming but I think at some point you want to earn more money and this means becoming a manager of programmers.

before you ask I am not in this position but I know a few people who are/were.

One of them who left where I work said, I don't want to be a code monkey for ever.

now apart from his elegant phrase of code monkey it did bring an interesting question to the forefront. It's funny but what age do you want to stop being a code monkey. It is a very interesting question because

1. I hadn't ever thought that far ahead
2. I hadn't thought about not being a code monkey
3. What does being a manager involve (handling moaning software developers!!!!)
4. Will I have to move job

The bloke who said he didn't want to be a code monkey soon left where I worked to be a "code monkey". I never thought there was really an age where you weren't a code monkey, it's not as if your body becomes weaker so you can't compete.

on the other hand I also appreciated that I would like to be a manager, I'm sure it's a dream/fantasy we all have, in our offices with a nice black comfy chair swinging about pretending to work until some young grunt pops in and we send him on his way with an ear full of good advice.

It's just I had never thought of it in the way "I don't want to be a code monkey for ever".

The main problem I have with the above statement is that most of the managers I know spend half of their life in meetings and planning other peoples work which really isn't something I aspire to do. What kind of job satisfaction do you get from that.

perhaps one day it will appeal to me but at the moment I'm happy to stay a code monkey

6 Comments:

  • Well, I started out as a code monkey, moved on to become a developer and am now on the verge of becoming an architect - a path I never pursued intentionally. It just happened. I'm still satisfied after a hard days work when I solved that nasty little bug that haunted me for so long, but this situation is seldom and there are other tasks nowadays I have to attend to besides coding.

    I think your perception of managers is (or the managers you know are :-) ) a little distorted. Because after being chosen for a manager's program here at my place I came to realize that there is a whole new world beyond coding/developing/architecting a software. It involves meeting with customers, pitching for new projects, presenting your ideas to an audience - to summarize, you improve your personal skills (team leading, presentation, etc.) and not only your professional skills (how to use Spring...). I first didn't know if I wanted that. But now I am glad I - intentionally - chose the manager's program to advance myself. Besides I still work on software projects during the day, because you won't get kicked out immediately after approaching your boss with "I think I wanna be a manager, Sir" - the transition is rather graceful :-)

    And - by the way - I think a manager in the software business MUST know how to code to guide other developers, so it is an extra qualification having a code monkey background in contrast to starting fresh from the university.

    Think about it - the idea is not as frightening as it sounds at first :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Apr 20, 08:26:00 am 2006  

  • I have to admit I do agree with both comments. I am not adverse to becoming a manager but my experience that managers spend a lot more of their time in meetings and doing a lot more talking than coding. I have to meet customers in my current role and it's the part of the job I don't really like.

    but on the other hand becoming a manager does mean you have more responsibility and get to have more control on what projects you are doing. I also do like the social interaction (just not with customers)

    At this moment in time (and I'm sure this will change) I am quite happy with being a code monkey but maybe in the future I may get fed up of it.

    thanks for the comments, it's good to hear opinions from the other point of view

    By Blogger The Hosk, at Thu Apr 20, 09:06:00 am 2006  

  • To me if you write code, you're a code monkey. The bulk of software development is the repetitive, relatively brainless stuff.

    I think after a certain point, it's natural to get tired of having to deal with all the myriad details that must be correct for a modern day application to function as desired. I once could do C++ and XWindows programming, but I couldn't put up with those complications today. It's at this point where developers try to move up the chain to be architects, team leads, consultants, or managers so they don't have to code any more. Some people can code for many years; others tire of it in only a couple.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Apr 20, 04:44:00 pm 2006  

  • I'm a developer, I'm an architect, I'm a designer, I'm a mentor, I'm a teacher, I'm a consultant.

    I've been a project manager, a CTO, a junior, a tester, a support person.

    Do a whole lot of different things and find the things you enjoy.

    Then do that.

    Don't feel that the "developer" title is anything other than something you should be taking with pride.

    James Gosling fills in his tax return as "developer". So that's good enough for me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Apr 21, 05:47:00 am 2006  

  • I'm not too sure I've actually been a code monkey but for sure did write a lot of code. At that time I was the only person in the department really programming anything so design and architecture was also part of my job.

    Then I moved to an architect position a few years ago. I added a lot of meetings to my calendar but I somehow managed to keep close to the development team (doing code review, performance analysis and coding once in a while when there were very tricky things to implement).

    Now, since I'm responsible for the architecture in two projects I hardly have time to do anything else than go to meetings, read stuff, write stuff and draw UML diagrams... It's some kind of natural evolution in my company (assuming you're not too interested in getting a project or group management position). So now I mostly write code for posts in my personal blog... I sometimes really wish I could get back to what I used to do in the past since I feel that I'm slowly getting disconnected from anything that really makes sense and is somehow connected to real life...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Apr 23, 01:48:00 pm 2006  

  • I think Henri's comment is sort of my main concern. Some of the managers I have known have spent lots of time in meetings all the time and then getting absorbed by the planning and coordinating of projects that they don't have as much time actually contributing (in a code sense).

    This can also have its advantages and can be interesting because you can control more of the project, make some interesting decisions. It also seems a bit boring and unrewarding. I'm not sure of the word I'm trying to find but sometimes when I have been in these meetings, I come out feeling that I haven't really accomplished anything.

    I appreciate there are good points and bad points, it was just a thought I had at the time

    By Blogger The Hosk, at Sun Apr 23, 07:48:00 pm 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home