A Funny Java Flavoured Look at the World

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Java Tips

I stumbled upon this Java tips site yesterday and found some interesting tips, which were explained in great detail. So in the name of self improvement it’s worth checking out the Java Tips site.

it has a lot of Java tips but it also has some tips on other API's and I found the Ant one quite useful - ant tips

I wish I had seen the JDBC tips the other day as I was searching about trying to find out how to connect to an sql server database - JDBC tips

The website is quite useful but there are some simple tips like What is a constructor which has been read 353 times !!

I don't know if its criticism or just my opinion but I actually found the site quite hard to navigate in terms of finding useful tips. The tips are split into quite big sections like Java SE, Java ME, Java Applications, Java Libraries. These are then split into smaller sections but in the end you have to spend your time looking about to find a good tip. I just felt it wasn't very initiative.

On the positive side there is a lot of tips here and the tips that I looked at where well written and are certainly through, it will just take you a bit of time to hunt down that killer tip.

so for the people who are studying for the SCJP Java 5 certification then these will certainly help you, especially if you aren't sure about the new features.

How to use getenv() in Java SE 5.0
Introduction to Autoboxing
Using the VarArgs Language Feature
The Enhanced For Loop
Covariant Parameter Types

I hope you find these useful

2 Comments:

  • Hello Hoskin,

    It is nice to see some positive thoughts about my site while i was just checking my emails. :)

    Thanks for your comments. For the next ~1 month, there wont be any progress on the site. But after that period, i and my friends will continue working on it.

    I got similar comments about browsability of the site. It was the limitation of the CMS we used. But we have plans to work on a "Java Search Engine" which will also simplify the searching of our site. But unfortunately there is no plan to change the structure of the site for some time.

    Let us know if you would like to contribute to the site.

    Best wishes,
    Levent.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Apr 24, 05:32:00 pm 2006  

  • I was trying to give some constructive critism. I think the site is good and it does have some good tips, it just I found it a bit tricky to navigate and find tips useful to me.

    I'm not really sure how to improve the layout of the website, I suppose searching or different way of organising the tips.

    Still I like the content and think the site is cool, a good place to go when you are thinking about writing some new functionality, someone might have already done it for you

    By Blogger The Hosk, at Mon Apr 24, 09:54:00 pm 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home