A Funny Java Flavoured Look at the World

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Comment spam - beware Anonymous bearing compliments

I got my first comment Spam yesterday, well I think it was comment spam. The spam had one line of random sentence and then a link to some searching type site. It embarrassingly took me a while to understand that this was spam because they were very cunning and hide the spam amongst a compliment. Initially I was thinking, yeah people are digging the site, they just couldn't read the blog entry and not say how good the site was, you know what I don't blame them.

so the first message was

"Anonymous said... Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations."

I was thinking well it was okay, I could do better, well no perhaps he has a point and then this anonymous reader had to write another comment praising my blog

"Anonymous said... Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it."

okay calm down old boy, you embarrassing me now, I'm English we don't compliments very well. Then this comment popped up

"Anonymous said...Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou."

What guest book, I haven't got a guest book. Could my secret admirer meant to put this comment on another website, the two timer. I was at this point a bit confused but my spidey sense was starting to tingle. The Anonymous started to add the same comments to other blogs and then double comment certain blog entries. I then noticed there was a little blue link and then realized that there wasn't really someone out there with big love for my blog, he was just a user, I felt used and dirty, my Mother had of course warned me about people like this but I thought this Anonymous commenter was the one. Bah.

So I had to rustle around and turn on the word verification do dah, which will hopefully stop this sort this flatterer.

Worse followed when I went to sleep I had nightmares about evil commentators attacking my blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home