A Funny Java Flavoured Look at the World

Thursday, July 27, 2006

What functionality would you add in if you were in charge

Me and a buddy were down the pub this week talking about software products and what we would do. We were discussing what we thought about the current position of certain software products and the fantastic drunken question of what you would do if you were in charge.It's a good question, a big question but a good one. The first part of the question is what do you think of a product at the moment, compared to it's competitors and also how will it compare to future competitors hiding just over the hill.

I think the products themselves in corporate selling are really the most important part anyway. The most valuable asset customers buy is the expertise of the company, the comforting safety net that they can raise any problems to and which they have to sort out. There is also the advice, work and knowledge of the company and in these aspects I think we are very good.

An interesting point is would it actually matter if I had any idea's to improve the product, not really I would get paid the same anyway, so I could sit quietly at my desk and do the work I have been given and don't worry about thinking of ways to improve this or that part of the product/way we do things.

but.....

where would be the fun in that, finding new processes and adding new bits of code is where all the fun is. I would also say that a lot of these things you can take to other jobs because you are learning and learning new hopefully better ways of completing common tasks.

The one thing I would be critical off but this is only my opinion and I'm sure every thinks differently but I think there in software it's critical that you develop the software and focus on the most valuable thing to add into the software.

The creating passionate users recent blog is about Ignore the competition and you shouldn't just put functionality in because you competitors have added it. I think this is a very good point because the time you waste putting in that piece of functionality is at the expense of some other piece of functionality and I think you should think long and hard about what you are going to add because in most areas of software you will have a competitor adding in new functionality all the time and if they choose more useful functionality than you then the your software will be slipping behind.

The worrying thing is, in software you might not have long before someone like google will release a free version of your software, so get adding the USP's in pronto.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home