A Funny Java Flavoured Look at the World

Friday, August 04, 2006

Graduate IT Salaries Average at £22000

I got this email the other day from CW Jobs, every now and again (once every two weeks) they send me some speculative job email, which I usually delete without reading. Unfortunately I am just too lazy to go onto the website and take my details off but the other day I read this bit at the start of the email. I suppose I should link to CW jobs site as I am quoting a bit of their email so if you wanna check them out go here http://www.cwjobs.co.uk/

Anyway the totally unrelevant piece of information at the top of this email was about graduates and their starting salaries, roll VT

The future looks good for IT graduates. A survey of more than 2,000 advertised
graduate jobs by CV Screen found that salaries averaged at almost £22,000 for
those with little or no work experience. The high starting salaries reflect the
increased demand for qualified IT professionals.
Matthew Iveson, managing
director at CV Screen says that employers are on the look out for graduates who
have some commercial experience and it would be wise for those currently
undertaking their degrees to seek some kind of work experience in order to make
them even more marketable.
I have to admit I am always amazed and annoyed about the starting salaries of graduates, how come they are always so bloody high, they are students with no experience for gods sake, perhaps it's like paying for a talented young footballer and hoping he will become a big star. Maybe it's me and I'm working in the fag end of the market but these starting salaries always seem a bit on the high side, I wonder to myself how does this work, is there some where in the UK where loads of students are getting paids millions so it brings up the average for all the under paid graduates.

Another reason why I have decided to blog about this because my Mother who is always on the look out for computer programming related facts in the newspaper that she can quote to me. The last week it was about the test that with 3 lines of code can tell who will be good programmers and who will be crap, although no doubt it's most of the crap one's who go on to be programmers. If you want to read about that, here's a link

http://hoskinator.blogspot.com/2006/07/can-you-spot-good-programmer-from-50.html

My Mother rang me up, to ask me if I had seen the article. What article I asked her, the article which says not so many graduates are taking up IT courses (because of the development being pushed off to India she informed me). Well I like this kind of news, hoping that one day in the future it will be a year 2000 golden time again where the lesser spotted programmers are getting paid a squillion pounds an hour because we are in such short supply (Hosk wakes from the nice dream to the harsh food to mouth existence). Anyway I wondered if this had any bearing on the wages for graduates, less graduates equaling more money for ones who are left.

To be honest though the average starting wage has slowly crept up, I think it was about £18,000 or £19,000 when I graduated in 2000. Still there is nothing to be bitter about really, the poor buggers will only have to use the money to pay off the 10 grand student loans they had to take out to pay for the can't be botherlecturersr's to bore them their course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home