A Funny Java Flavoured Look at the World

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Craftsman articles from Uncle Bob

I was reading the Craftsman articles from "uncle Bob" Robert C Martin I have read quite a few articles from uncle Bob but I always liked the Craftsman articles. I think it was because I didn't know about half of the things he was writing about so it was an interesting introduction and a good starting point to go and read up about the things he mentions.

On the other hand the craftsman section is completely weird and like nothing I have seen. A story about a programmer on a space ship, now that is some crazy stuff.

I noticed recently that all the 48 craftsman stories are in the one place, I'm sure before they were half placed somewhere else and in word format.

I think I read somewhere that he is planning a comeback for the craftsman.

Here are the articles I am blabbing on about

http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/listArticles?key=topic&topic=Craftsman

to give you a hint of what the Craftsman is about here is a small bit of the first episode

Dear Diary,
13 February 2002,
Today was a disaster – I really messed it up. I wanted so much to impress the
journeymen here, but all I did was make a mess.

It was my first day on the job as an apprentice to Mr. C. I was lucky to get this
apprenticeship. Mr. C is a well recognized master of software development. The
competition for this position was fierce. Mr. C’s apprentices often become journeymen in high demand. It means something to have worked with Mr. C.

I thought I was going to meet him today, but instead a journeyman named Jerry took me aside. He told me that Mr. C always puts his apprentices through an orientation during their first few days. He said this orientation was to introduce apprentices to the practices that Mr. C insists we use, and to the level of quality he expects from our code.

This excited me greatly. It was an opportunity to show them how good a programmer I am. So I told Jerry I couldn’t wait to start. He responded by asking me to write a simple program for him. He wanted me to use the Sieve of Eratosthenes to calculate prime numbers. He told me to have the program, including all unit tests, ready for review just after lunch.

This was great! I had almost four hours to whip together a simple program like the Sieve. I determined to do a really impressive job. Listing 1 shows what I wrote. I made sure it was well commented, and neatly formatted.
I can tell that you are already hooked and hungry for more adventures from the young programmer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home