A Funny Java Flavoured Look at the World

Monday, October 30, 2006

I finally reach 100 bucks

Ever since I read the small print and realized that having google ad's on your site doesn't really make you any money (the dream of an easy buck slowly fades away) I have been striving to reach the magical $100.

The reason 100 dollars is the magical number is because Google don't pay you a penny until you reach 100 dollars, which is a lot hard than it sounds. Well it probably isn't that hard but unfortunately it takes time to build up regular readers of my blog (thank you all) and it takes a lot of time writing the articles for the blog. As I said recently I have not only now got an extra 100 dollars but I have also learnt a lot writing articles for my blog and learnt just as much from the comments people leave to my articles, so anyone who has left a comment thanks a bundle.

I check my statistics of my blog (which I do because I'm sad) and I have been blogging since April 11th 2006. This brings me onto my next aim which is to get 100,000 page views to my blog. I am currently on 90,397 page views and 73,902 visits. To be honest I'm not really that clear on the different apart from page views is a quick view of the page but a visit if someone's stays for more than 1 second.

In theory it should get easier because I have more pages of my blog for people to look at
. So anyway thanks everyone who have read my blog and special thanks to everyone who clicked on an advert.

5 Comments:

  • A page view is just as it sounds... an actually view of a specific page. A visit can encompass multiple page views. What you ultimately want is a large # of page views per visit, that indicates that people are sticking around your site looking at lots of stuff.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Oct 31, 01:24:00 am 2006  

  • thanks for your comment, that's pretty much what I thought.

    Well it looks like it could take quite a while to get those page views up.

    By Blogger The Hosk, at Tue Oct 31, 02:00:00 am 2006  

  • I need to say I've made a lot more money using Yahoo's add service over Googles.

    I guess Yahoo pays more per click which means you reach the $100 total quicker.

    Erik

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Oct 31, 10:55:00 pm 2006  

  • You have done a great job! Well my question is how the curve of your hits over a long period is. I.e, if you earn over months every week about the same (linear) or did you noticed every day more hits/day (potentially).
    I've just started my own blog (javecua.blogspot.com).
    I think putting advertising is good not only for earning money, which won't be much, but because of having a little extra motivation. It shows you what value your blog actually has, without respecting the ideal value of yourself and your readers. Keep on writing!

    By Blogger Mario Bertschler, at Sat Nov 11, 06:21:00 pm 2006  

  • it does motivate you sometimes to have a target number of readers look at your blog and the best way to do this is to write good entries which people want to read.

    I have noticed that it takes time to build up a readership, so it started slowly and has built up over time. I did have a big spike where my 10 tips on writing reusable code got onto the front page of digg and I had about 30000 hits in a day.

    I think it builds up because the more pages you have written the more people will visit you blog or the more chance people will

    By Blogger The Hosk, at Sun Nov 12, 03:53:00 pm 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home