A Funny Java Flavoured Look at the World

Monday, July 17, 2006

Deadline helps motivation SCJP Java 5 Exam Studying

I have been studying for my SCJP Java 5 exam for about 5/6 months but I am still a bit scared of taking the exam.

The thing is I just don't want to fail the beast. I think I probably have learnt the stuff for the exam, well I have learnt it well enough to pass I think.

I read the whole of the Sun Certified Programmer for Java 5: Study Guide Exam 310-055 (Certification Press S.)

and blogged about it here, a couple of months ago

http://hoskinator.blogspot.com/2006/05/at-last-i-have-finished-reading-all.html

since then I have been taking 10 practice questions most working mornings (mon - fri) and going over my que cards/notes.

It's a bit odd the SCJP 5 exam, its something I feel you can never be too prepared for. I have made a bit of a mistake but taking my foot off the gas quite a bit the last month or so ( I have been buying a house which took my mind and time away) but in all honesty it's a bit of an excuse, I'm just putting it off.

After reading the book and reading plenty of articles and now answering lots of questions, if you want to see the questions read this blog entry

http://hoskinator.blogspot.com/2006/04/java-5-310-055-practise-exam.html


I have also gone onto Java Black belt and tested myself on their questions although they can be a bit oddly laid out, which might be good practice for the exam.

My knowledge of the basics of Java and the new features has gone up loads and I basically think I just need one more big push of revising to be ready.

To encourage this I am going to set myself a deadline of 4 or 6 weeks and give myself a date and stick to it. Deadlines are great mind focusers, it gives you a target and should hopefully stop all this fluffy wimpy putting off the exam nonsense that has taken hold of me. So I am going to pick a date in August and put this exam to sleep.

The last thing that motivated me was I better do it soon or other wise I will have to change and study for the Java 6 SCJP exam.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home