A Funny Java Flavoured Look at the World

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Who is Robert C Martin and what is he famous for

I thought I would post about famous programmers now and again because there are some names which keep on popping up as you read about programming.

The real reason I am posting is because Robert C Martin or Uncle Bob as he is known posted a comment on my blog entry "are the principles of OOD going out of fashion" . When I saw the comment I was literally taken a back, not the Robert C Martin. It seemed bizare, I have read 100's of his articles and read some of his books and there he is reading my blog. The real comedy of the situation is there isn't any I can really tell without looking very sad.

Back to the topic at hand, who is Robert C Martin, well the reason I have read many of his articles on OO. When I read the article they blew me away, the ideas were fascinating to me. Anyway this is what Wiki says

Known colloquially as "Uncle Bob", Robert Cecil Martin has been a software professional since 1970 and an international software consultant since 1990.

He is founder and president of Object Mentor Inc., a team of consultants who mentor their clients in C++, Java, OOP, Patterns, UML, Agile Methodologies, and Extreme Programming.

From 1996 to 1999 he was the editor-in-chief of the C++ Report. In 2002 he wrote the Agile Software Development: Principles, Patterns, and Practices which gives pragmatic advice on object oriented design and development in an agile team. He has also published a truckload of articles on programming and software methodologies.

He has wrote many many articles but the one's I found so interesting one are under Design Principles

http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/publishedArticles.html


and I think one of my all time favourite articles (yes I know it's sad) is the Open Closed Principle
the beauty of these articles are they are pdf's which means you can download them and read them later. This article Patterns and Design Principles is worth a read although it is pretty long, (30 pages) so don't be expected a quick read.

Uncle Bob does have a blog if you would care to read his more up to date musings.

The one thing which does make me laugh though is the Craftsman articles and I have blogged about this before they just are funny, it's a funny idea but saying that I still enjoyed them.

He has also written some books

  • Martin, Robert Cecil (1995). Designing Object-Oriented C++ Applications using the Booch Method. Prentice-Hall. ISBN 0-13-203837-4.
  • Martin, Robert Cecil (2002). Agile Software Development: Principles, Patterns and Practices. Pearson Education. ISBN 0-13-597444-5.
  • Martin, Robert Cecil (2003). UML for Java Programmers. Prentice Hall. ISBN 0-13-142848-9.
  • Martin, Robert Cecil (2006). Agile Principles, Patterns, and Practices in C#. Prentice Hall. ISBN 0-13-185725-8.

of course what he is most famous for now is leaving a comment on my blog



If you like this blog or and fancy something a bit less technical with some laughing thrown in then check out my other blog Amusing IT Stories. Which is a blog about funny and amusing stories from the IT environment and the office. It is a mix of news, office humour, IT stories, links, cartoons and anything that I find funny

1 Comments:

  • Because of some of his recent positions, such as "If you don't test 100% of your code, you should be fired" and "Code coverage should be in the high 95% or you are being unprofessional", his opinions are no longer taken seriously in the OO community these days.

    Too bad he became so extreme and out of touch with reality.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Nov 15, 05:23:00 pm 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home